Floyds

Floyds

Friday, August 6, 2010

August already?


(Such a cutie if I do say so myself)

Farewell you hot, wonderful, summery July. Hello even hotter, end-of-summer August, and hello single digits!...That's right. 9 weeks to go and counting. We are thinking this guy's name is going to be Garrett, what do you think? Logan and Ben pretty much already call him that, except for when Logan is feeling silly and then he calls him "baby brother Skarloey" (who is a train from Thomas the Tank Engine, FYI).

I passed my silly glucose test, which I failed the first time and had to endure the three hour long miserable test the second time... which requires several hours of fasting and an awful sugar drink that sits on your empty belly and makes you sick, and then had my fingers pricked four times. But I passed. Thank heaven, because....have you seen me eat sugar? Hello.

We went to Boise for a week to spend time with my family, who all gathered at my sister's house and had a WONDERFUL time! We played hard, and my swollen feet could prove it (seriously....elephant feet, baby). Ben couldn't come up until the weekend, so he missed a lot of the fun, poor guy. I was beat by the time we came home, but at least I came home with my new best friend. Yes, I fell in love with a plush, micro-velour body pillow at Costco and it came home with me and loyally holds my aching pregnant belly and legs all night long. Of course, Ben is still snuggling me from the other side...that is a must.

For all the loyal fans and voters, I must sadly report that the band was not chosen in the Battle of the Bands to play at Warped Tour. I can tell you that it smarts a little for Ben. But really the whole thing is rather lame and silly, because apparently the votes didn't seem to matter at all. Despite the fact that they were in 3rd place when the contest ended, neither they, nor the first, or second place bands were selected amongst the winners. In fact, a few of the bands that were selected had 200 or less votes. One band had even less than 100, in comparison with Ben's band's 1700 votes. So you can guess that they were all rather miffed that all our promoting and voting was rather in vain, but what could we do? I am still very proud of him and believe he is extraordinarily talented. And Logan sure thinks his daddy is pretty cool.

Speaking of Logan, I nearly lived a mother's worst nightmare last week. After an extremely hot, but fun visit to the zoo with the whole family in Boise, we were eating lunch at the park when suddenly Logan disappeared. One minute he was chasing some geese and the next, he was gone, absolutely nowhere in sight. My family fanned out, searching the playground, the tennis courts, the nearby duck pond and stream, the parking lot, everywhere...and no Logan. Minutes were passing by, seeming like forever, and I quickly went from scared to panicked to hysterical. Strangers came to help look for him and I found myself describing to people what he was wearing and what he looked like, shaking uncontrollably, sobbing, and hyperventilating. Of course you try not to, but you just can't help thinking about the worst and I kept picturing myself describing him to a policeman, instead of strangers. And of course, wondering in absolute horror if I'd ever see him again. I wish I could have held it together a little better because I practically became useless in the search for him, just frantically grabbing my mom, sobbing and asking over and over again, "Where is he?" as if she could magically tell me and make it go away. I couldn't tell you exactly how long he was gone. It felt like forever, though it was probably only several minutes. But finally someone called out that he was found, alone in the bathroom, pants and underwear around his ankles and proud of himself for having found and gone to the bathroom all on his own. I collapsed on the grimy floor, holding him as tight as I could, sobbing from adrenaline and relief, while he planted kisses all over my face and said over and over with a big smile, "Be happy, mommy." Then my mom came and told me I needed to calm down before I sent myself into early labor. We drove home back to my sister's house where Logan and I snuggled up and fell asleep. I can honestly tell you I have never been so scared in my life. I actually blogged about it that night, but after rereading the post, decided to delete it because it was still too fresh and, to be honest, I was beginning to feel a little stupid for being so dramatic, but I'd like to think I'm not the only mother who would be in complete hysterics at the thought of losing her child, right?

Well, I'm sure I could find more to tell you, but it's now nearly 9:00 on a Friday night and my cute husband is sitting on the couch reading a book. I think I will go see if I can make him put it down and hang out with me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Theatrics are a nature must when your child goes missing. How scary! I'll see you soon!!