Floyds

Floyds

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

History is Made

Four years ago, I was a brand new high school graduate, wide-eyed in my first semester of college, and on many matters of importance, was completely clueless. When President Bush was up for his second term, I didn't pay much attention to the elections. I felt some pressure to go cast my vote and let my voice be heard. But I didn't. One little voice, it couldn't possibly matter. And besides, my reason was that I didn't know enough to make an informed decision. So the election went by, and I remember hearing that President Bush had won a second term. Cool.

I'm not sure what it is that woke me up, or made me start caring. I attribute much of it to my amazing husband. His caring and intelligence and sense of justice and democracy in our country has added a great depth to my character, along with so many other things he has taught me. Over the past two and a half years of being married to this great man, somewhere my attention switched on to what is going on in our country, rather than sitting back and just letting it effect me in whatever way it would. I think, no really, I know, that having a child brought it all that much more into focus. Suddenly you start worrying as a parent what kind of a legacy we'll be leaving to the next generation of leaders. As I've watched the Bush administration over the past couple of years, I've been appalled at the amount of criticism and ridicule that man has received. The man has made mistakes, just as every president before him, and every president to come after him, and just like the rest of us. But it burned in my heart that whether or not you agree with man's politics, he is our President, our Commander in Chief, and he deserves our respect. Whether you voted for him or not, Republican, Democrat, or otherwise, he is our leader for better or for worse. I felt very strongly that we as a nation must put aside our criticisms and be united. Well...now comes the true test of my sentiment.

As a staunch conservative, yesterday was a heart-wrenching defeat. I worry tremendously about the future of our nation, and above all, about how my son (and my other future children) will be affected by it. But as I watched as it became more and more decided that Barack Obama would indeed be elected, I prayed that I would be able to replace my fear with faith, and my discouragement with hope. I have felt all the more grateful now that we have a prophet on the earth, who will continue to guide and direct us according to our Heavenly Father's will. He will not leave us alone.

And now I face the difficult part. I don't agree with many of our new President's ideas, positions, or politics, and truth-be-told, he did not have my vote. It was hard for me to watch his acceptance speech, and try to trust and believe in the changes he has promised to make. I'm still frightened of many of those changes. Nonetheless, he will be my President, Commander in Chief. I will show the man my respect because the voice of democracy has spoken and has chosen him. I love my country, and I'm proud of it. I hope for the very best for it and all of us. And even though we have a new President that we may not agree with, our voices can still make a difference as advocates for what should be preserved in our society, for rights and freedom, and the protection and defense of our families. God bless America.

4 comments:

Margaret said...

you put that really well. i have to agree i didn't and wouldn't vote for him but i will respect him because others chose him.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

Sorry, I deleted the last comment because it came up under John and I knew you wouldn't know who it was! Anyway... well said! I agree with you completely! He will have my respect because he is my president.

Anonymous said...

Dear Tiffany,

I am so very proud of you and appreciate all that you've said. My son is so very blessed to have you as his wife.

Love,

Dad